The APGA candidate, Professor Charles Soludo was declared as the winner of the 2021 Anambra State governorship election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The declaration was made in the early hours of Wednesday by the Returning Officer for the election, Professor Florence Obi.
Soludo who contested the election on the platform of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), emerged winner with 112,229 votes to defeat Valentine Ozigbo of the Peoples Democratic Party, who got 53,807 votes, and Andy Uba of the All Progressives Congress who got 43,285 votes. Senator Ifeanyi Ubah of the Young Progressive Party polled 21,261 votes to come fourth.
Meanwhile below are some important facts to know about the winner of the 2021 Anambra governorship election.
1. Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo was born on July 28, 1960, in Isuanioma located in the Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.
2. He lost his mother when he was just a young boy.
3. He is married to Mrs Nonye Soludo and they have six children together.
4. Soludo obtained his BSc in Economics from the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State in 1984 (First Class Honours) before bagging his MSc Economics in 1987, and a PhD in 1989 from the same Institution.
He finished as the best student at the three levels before getting his professorship in 1998 at the same University.
5. He served as the Chief Economic Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission of Nigeria IN 2003.
6. In May 2004, he emerged as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
7. In the 2010 Anambra governorship election, he contested on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) but lost to Peter Obi of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).
8. On July 17, 2013, he dumped the PDP for APGA.
9. Soludo was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in September 2019 as a member of the newly formed eight-member Economic Advisory Council (EAC) that reports directly to the President.
10. The professor is a recipient of the national honour of the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) – Nigeria’s third-highest national honour.
11. Soludo will be sworn into office in March 2022 as the Governor of Anambra State after the expiration of the two-term tenure of the incumbent governor, Willie Obiano, who is also of the All Progressives Grand Alliance.