The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has revealed the plans by the federal government to engage more women into the N-Power scheme.
The Minister, who disclose this at an inter-ministerial dialogue in Abuja on Wednesday, said that the move is part of efforts to restructure and make the N-Power programme more efficient.
She added that as part of the process, beneficiaries of the N-power scheme will henceforth serve for less than two years in the scheme.
mnaija recalls Hajia Farouq had previously disclosed plans by the federal government to streamline the N-Power scheme.
The Minister noted that the streamline will be done in order to provide greater efficiency in the scheme and provide more opportunities for Nigerians.
Hajia Farouq disclosed that details of the streamlining activities will be revealed after the May stipend has been paid to beneficiaries.
Giving an update while speaking on Wednesday, 10th June, the Minister noted that; “Part of the reforms and streamlining will see a reduction in tenure, launch of the Integrated National Social Investment Programme which is intended to reposition N-SIP to cater to vulnerable groups in society by providing them access to shock responsive interventions, life skills & mentorship in order to systematically lift people out of poverty.”
Others, she said, included enrolling more women on the programme to empower them so that they could earn an income and be more self-sufficient.
Meanwhile, the N-Power scheme has apologized to beneficiaries yet to get their March, April and May stipends.
N-Power disclosed in a statement on Wednesday that the accounts of such affected beneficiaries had been flagged by the GIFMIS platform.
It, however, added that those in charge are working to resolve the mix up noting that it is no one’s fault.
For those whose accounts are owed the March, April and May stipends, your accounts were flagged by the GIFMIS platform for several reasons.
The Ministry is working hard to resolve this. It is no one’s fault.
We acknowledge the hardship the non-payment of stipends have caused.
— N-Power (@npower_ng) June 10, 2020
The N-Power scheme is a social intervention scheme introduced in 2016 by President Muhammadu Buhari, as a two-year programme for graduate and non-graduate Nigerians between the ages of 18-35.
The beneficiaries enjoy N30,000 monthly stipend, and devices during the duration of their stay in the scheme in exchange for services offered including Teaching, Agric extension services, Health, etc.
The scheme has enrolled 500,000 beneficiaries thus far – 200,000 from Batch A which started in September 2016 and 300,000 from Batch B which kicked off in August 2018.
Each batch is expected to be in the system for only two years (24 months) according to the original design of the scheme. Batch A beneficiaries have spent over 40 months.