Lekki Shooting: We Were Not Informed Of Change In Curfew Time – Nigerian Army

The Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, said the Nigerian Army was not aware of the change in curfew time by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

He said this on Saturday while testifying at the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the shooting of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki tollgate on the night of October 20, 2020.

According to the Army general, the EndSARS protest plunged Lagos State into anarchy and the military was needed to restore normalcy.

Taiwo said: “Due to the urgency of the situation, it is no wonder the governor declared a 24-hour curfew which was supposed to start by 4 pm.

“Analysing that further, it shows that the situation was so dire and the governor wanted everyone off the streets.

“After some observations, this timing was shifted to 2100hrs, that is 9 pm.

“However, these timings were not communicated to the Nigerian Army.

“Be that as it may, the Nigerian Army deployed immediately to forestall further break down of law and order.”

Brig. Gen. Taiwo had earlier stated that Sanwo-Olu was right to call on the Nigeria Army on Lekki tollgate #EndSARS protesters.

Recall that following the curfew imposed on the state by the government, soldiers invaded a peaceful protest at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday evening, October 20, killing #EndSARS protesters in the process.

But the army who initially denied involvement in the Lekki shootings, later disclosed that its officers were invited by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to enforce a curfew imposed on the state last Tuesday.

Sanwo-Olu came under fire since the incident at the Lekki toll gate which has been condemned by local and international civil rights organizations.

You might also like

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More